Tuesday, August 31, 2010

College Begins.

I've slipped into the most cavernous depths of uncertainty. A place where many enter but......... well actually many exit too. A place where those with any phobia imaginable face their deepest fears. Somewhere the folks don't all think the same, don't do the same things.................................. No, not a family reunion. What the hell kind of family reunion are you running? I'm talking of course about COLLEGE. This seems to be a right of passage, some form of ritual that's been years in the making but is now so mainstream its no longer catered only to the elect few that are privileged enough, but is available to anyone who seeks after it.
What is it that drives us to college? Is it a thirst for knowledge? Is it a pit stop on your way to accomplishing your bucket list? Is it cause you've got no place else to go?
I roam the halls of Utah Valley University. Apparently i'm working towards that becoming my alma mater. As I drift, can't say aimlessly cause I know where i'm going (on campus anyway), we'll call it purpose driven drifting, through the campus I find myself people watching all the time. It's one of my favorite past times and I can't seem to stop. I love looking at the people and building my own sort of backstory for them. Imagining why they're here, what they want to accomplish, what change they want to make in the world. Or there are other people whose motives I deem completely the opposite of altruistic. (i.e. the indie rocker fella with six chicks strung on each arm, gently tipping his fedora and his roy orbison sunglasses just so, so as to make himself appear like he doesn't care how he looks.) Whatever it may be these last few days have been overwhelming, partly because i'm not used to being around so many people, and partly because i've never been more comfortable with myself. I suppose it's all this crazy imagination mine running rampant creating backstories for people, that made me realize I didn't know my own backstory. I mentioned this to a friend, and they were appalled. His face seemed to say " COLLEGE ISN'T A PLACE WHERE OPINIONS ARE FORMED!!!!!!!! HOW DARE YOU ASSUME TO ENTER THIS INSTITUTION OF LEARNING WITHOUT A DIRECTION IN LIFE!" As he spoke to me, I realized I was comfortable in my uncertainty. I mean I know for a fact one side of my personality can't exist without watching the "Die Hard" trilogy at least once a year. But do I let that side dominate my conscious thoughts when out of left field my start tapping my toes when Enrique Iglesias comes on my I-pod? Do I let my ultra ultra manly side step in when my mind twists to something it has pegged as an intruder for so long? But apparently some part of me must dig that ridiculously high latin vocals cause my body just can't resist shaking in rhythm with that amazingly feminine falsetto.
So I guess the reason I blog now is to let you know, let the journey of self discovery begin. Both in and outside this institution of education i'm currently enrolled in. Some changes will be made and some views will be concreted forever in my think tank. But all in all i'm excited for what about to happen. THANK GOD I'M TWENTY TWO!

No comments:

Post a Comment